Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas in the Country & Happy New Year

We went up on Christmas Day, after spending the day with family. We were greeted with wind & cold, not unusual for this time of year. Why does the wind always blow in the wrong direction for the current season? The NE wind in winter is just brutal. We may not have ice & snow but wet & very windy conditions make it unpleasant to be outside. Nothing like our Northern neighbors have to deal with but unpleasant nonetheless. Our house sits on a slight hill in the middle of field that was used to grow many things like watermelons & cantaloupe & even tobacco at one time. There are no trees so no wind break except for the other side of the house. That NE wind would be most welcome in the Spring & Summer but it rarely happens.

Not many projects planned as we were only there for a few days. We did get a delivery though. A garden shed! It was our Christmas present to ourselves (or to me actually). It was put at the top of the garden which will give us some definition in that area of the yard. Here's a before (note the dead oak tree - all 3 of them died):



And, here's the after:

The 'front'

The 'back'
It's 16 x 24 & will eventually have a shed roof over the back with a potting bench & outdoor sink. I love it!

In other news, we had a couple of rotten steps that needed to be replaced.


And, my cousin gave me a couple of ears of Glass Gem corn. I had given his boss a few seeds to see if it would grow there. I think it's beautiful. Can't wait until I am able to be there for the majority of the growing season (1 year & 6 months to go!).



We came home early to pack for a quick vacation before heading back to work. I'll post about that once we're back home.

Hope everyone has a Happy & safe start to your New Year!

11 comments:

  1. Happy New Year DFW. Enjoy your vacation and rise a glass for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mamma Bear & I will raise one (or maybe even two)!

      Delete
  2. DFW,

    Happy New Year To You and Yours My Friend!!!

    Love your new shed, I trade you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I don't think I want to trade just yet. Wait til I fill it up & then complain I don't have enough storage space. Hubby, said that better not happen ;)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Gail. I'm sure I will fill it up soon enough.

      Delete
  4. Love that new shed! What an awesome gift to give each other! Yes, that NE wind would be very welcome in the summer! Wishing you a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  5. Nice present, you know, one half of that shed would make a really good chicken coop. I have some hens for you when you're ready! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Izzy. Greg would kill me if I put chickens in there! Happy New Year to you & the Moose!

      Delete